Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Winter is Coming

I sniffed winter the first time these days. In the past few years, the unsteady weather makes it hardly winter in winter in Taichung and sometimes it feels like autumn in December─ I even didn’t fetch my overcoat out last year. This morning when riding the cycle on campus, however, a blast of wind blew over my cheeks and I do felt a bit chilly. It came to my mind the scene of my mom knitting sweaters for my sister and me in the coming of wintertime in my childhood immediately, and I was bewildered by the somehow flash-on memory, which I then attributed to my long absence from home and the yearning for homemade cooking.
Sometimes winter seems to make people delicate and gloomy, for it is a time of dying of vitality and, perhaps, poetic melancholy. Every time when I wrap myself up in three layers of heavy clothes like a bear but still feel unsatisfied, I cannot help wondering the false fantasy of lovable winter with beautiful fortuity from Hollywood romances. But I must clarify for myself that there is no distasteful disapproval against the cold season; in fact, I appreciate it to some degree instead. Besides being able to sleep late─ Mom will never be so hardhearted to have you up in 7:00 a.m. in freezing mornings, I have an incomprehensibly sweet and genial sentiment to winter probably credited to my youth experience.
While a child, my parents used to prepare hot pot for the family at winter nights. We children would crowd together waiting to fill our empty stomachs, and the ongoing laughter echoing the tiny living room would draw the unforgiving coldness away. Preferring to dine at the hot pot stores, more economical and diverse, outside now, we have less opportunities to have our own hot pot nights. The foods without doubt are great and desirable as well, but what appears to be lost in them I can never tell.
Oh, winter is coming. How I wish for a steaming hotpot. I think I am going to go home soon.





1 comment:

  1. My family and I love to eat hot pots in Winter, too. We sometimes go outside for eating hot pots and sometimes we just sit together in the dinning room and my parents will prepare a lot of food I like, such as tofu and cabbage. I like the time eating hot pots with my family. It is very warm, not only the hot soup makes my body warm, but also the love of my family makes my heart warm.
    How I wish for a steaming hotpot,too!! Because of the busy work recently, I haven't go home for almost a month. I miss my parents and my brother very much. I think I am going to go home soon,too......

    ReplyDelete